Roll on school holidays! We’re nearly there but with another two weeks or so to go (not that I’m counting) I wanted to share this tasty and nutritious lunch box filler. These chicken and sweetcorn tortilla pinwheels can be made ahead of time and make a great alternative to the usual sarmies.
Use leftover chicken from supper to make the tortilla pinwheels or customise them with another protein like tuna or ham. You can also make the tortillas the night before and simply slice and pop into your lunch box in the morning, so easy! I like using wholegrain or brown soft tortillas but you can use whichever tortillas or wraps you like.
Looking for extra lunch box inspiration? Why not try these – date and nut balls, banana chai muffins, date, carrot and apple muffins, choc nut energy balls or date, seed and nut muesli bars. What are your go to lunch box snacks?
You can watch how we made these pinwheels on the Expresso Show here:
- Make ahead tip: Make prepare the tortillas the night before, wrap and leave in the fridge. Then simply slice and pop into the lunch boxes in the morning!
- This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover chicken from dinner.
- I like to pop my tortillas on a hot griddle pan for 15-30 seconds before using.
- Swop the chicken out for tuna or ham for a variation.
CHICKEN TORTILLA PINWHEELS
- 125ml (½ cup) cream cheese
- 125ml (½ cup) shredded cooked chicken
- 60ml (¼ cup) cooked sweetcorn
- 60ml (¼ cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 x 20cm soft wholegrain/brown tortillas
- small handful of baby spinach leaves
1.) Place the cream cheese in a bowl and stir to soften. Add the chicken, sweetcorn and cheese and mix well to combine.
2.) Optional: heat a dry frying or griddle pan and heat the tortillas for 15-30 seconds to soften.
3.) Divide the mixture between the two tortillas and spread into an even layer. Arrange the spinach leaves over the chicken filling.
4.) Roll up the tortillas, wrap well and leave in the fridge for an hour to firm up, or overnight. Slice and serve.