Happy Valentine’s Day foodies! Whether you love this holiday or are not such a fan today’s chocolatey recipe is the perfect thing to make to spoil your partner… or yourself. This easy triple chocolate bark with pistachios and toasted coconut is quick to make which also makes it an ideal last minute homemade gift for your special someone.
Apart from making a tasty edible gift and and being a breeze to make, chocolate bark is also so easy to customise with your favourite additions. I have chosen to use salted pistachios and toasted coconut (wow, so delicious!) but you can add absolutely any nuts you like. Other ideas for chocolate bark toppings include dried fruit like cranberries, apricots and figs, orange zest, a rocky road style bark with mini marshmallows, crumbled cookies… the list is endless so you can really get creative!
I have also chosen to use dark, milk and white chocolate in this recipe (you can never have too much chocolate right?), but you can also stick to one or two types of chocolate if you prefer. Don’t forget to check out my tips below about melting chocolate before you start.
- To melt the chocolate: place the chopped dark, milk and white chocolate into three separate small bowls. Place each of these over another smaller bowl containing freshly boiled water. (Note, the water should not touch the base of the bowl containing the chocolate.) Allow to stand for a minute, then stir gently. Leave for another few minutes then stir again. Keep doing this until the chocolates are completely melted.
- The finer your chocolate is chopped the quicker it will melt!
- I used roasted and salted pistachios in this recipe to contrast the sweet chocolate, but you can use plain/raw pistachios if you prefer.
COCONUT AND PISTACHIO CHOCOLATE BARK
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 100g pistachios, shelled
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 75g white chocolate, chopped
- 75g milk chocolate, chopped
1.) Place a piece of baking paper on a large baking tray and set to one side. Toast the coconut flakes in a dry pan until golden. Set aside to cool.
2.) Chop the pistachios very roughly (I like to keep a few of them whole). Set aside.
3.) Melt the dark, white and milk chocolate – see cook’s notes above. Mix half of the pistachios into the dark chocolate. Pour the dark chocolate onto the lined baking tray and spread into a rough rectangle about 16cm x 24cm. It doesn’t need to be exact.
4.) Spoon teaspoonfuls of white and milk chocolate on top of the dark chocolate. Use a large skewer or chopstick to swirl the chocolates together.
5.) Sprinkle the coconut and remaining pistachios over the chocolate. Leave to cool and set. Once set cut or break the bark into pieces. Store in an airtight container in a cool place.