The Easter weekend is almost upon us and today’s recipe is packed with all the chocolate and all of the treats. I’ve included dark chocolate as well as Chuckles and speckled eggs (two of my weaknesses) for good measure in these rich and gooey Easter brownies. This is the type of recipe I reserve just for special occasions, and if you’re looking for a weekend splurge you have come to the right place!
I’ve also added a cheesecake swirl to these brownies which adds some great contrast in terms of flavour and colour. And don’t the multicoloured eggs look fun and festive?
For more Easter inspiration check out these divine recipes! Easter lamb and vegetable platter with bacon sauce, chocolate hot cross bun loaf and ginger and orange biscuit truffles. Happy Easter!
- I like to use the rectangular full fat cream cheese packs as I find the other ones have a tendency to get runny once you start whisking them.
- For bigger chocolate bursts in your brownies leave the Chuckles whole!
- If you are not in South Africa use Whispers or any chocolate covered malt ball instead of Chuckles. You could also use large chocolate chips or chunks.
- I used a rectangular 28x18cm tin for my brownies, but a standard 20-23cm tin would work fine.
CHEESECAKE SWIRL EASTER BROWNIES
For the brownie mixture:
- 150g butter
- 150g dark chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) castor sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 125ml (½ cup) flour
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) baking powder
- 60ml (¼ cup) cocoa
- 180ml (¾ cup) Chuckles, halved
For the cheesecake mixture:
- 250g full fat cream cheese
- 80ml (⅓ cup) castor sugar
- ½ of 1 large beaten egg
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
- 125ml (½ cup) Speckled eggs
1.) Preheat your oven to 170ºC. Line the base of a brownie tin with baking paper and grease the tin.
2.) To make the brownie mixture place the butter and dark chocolate in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until everything has melted. Set aside.
3.) Whisk the eggs and castor sugar together in a separate bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract.
4.) Whisk the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into the bowl and fold in by hand. Lastly fold in the Chuckles. Set aside while you make the cheesecake mixture.
5.) To make the cheesecake mixture place the cream cheese in a bowl and whisk until smooth and softened. Add the castor sugar and whisk until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk again.
6.) Drop a few spoonfuls of brownie batter into the tin, leaving gaps between each spoonful. Next, dot a few spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture in between. Continue doing this, alternating the batters as you go so that both mixtures are dotted around the pan.
7.) Use a large skewer or chopstick to swirl the mixtures into each other. Sprinkle the speckled eggs over the top.
8.) Bake the brownies for 35-40 minutes. They should be set on top but slightly wobbly in the centre. Leave the brownies to cool and set completely before cutting into squares. For really fudgy brownies leave the tray in the fridge for a few hours before cutting.
6 thoughts on “Cheesecake swirl Easter brownies”
You had ma at « cheesecake »
LikeLiked by 1 person
Ha ha! And combined with brownies, well it’s a match made in heaven. 😉
Thank you for this great Easter recipe.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Such a pleasure, have a lovely weekend!