Speaking of speedy dinners and things going in a flash, am I the only one feeling slightly alarmed at how quickly this year is going? I had to do a double take last week when I went grocery shopping and saw mince pies on the bakery shelves. It seems like just last month we were packing up the Christmas decorations and getting ready for the new school year, and (what feels like) all of a sudden September is just around the corner and I am planning for the last stretch of the year. Yikes!
- you can use another type of pasta if you do not have any penne in the pantry.
- the cream can also be replaced with crème fraîche or thick plain yoghurt for that creamy finish.
- you can make this recipe kiddy-friendly by replacing the wine with some veggie stock / water. You can also sneak in an extra portion of veggies by “hiding” them in the sauce.
- I find this recipe usually makes enough for two adults and two children, sometimes with a bit to spare, (because you never know whether they will be having two bites or two bowlfuls!).
Foodies, don’t forget to head on over to Instagram for behind the scenes pics of what I am getting up to in the Cupcakes and Couscous kitchen!
CREAMY TOMATO PENNE WITH PESTO
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 200g white mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 50g tomato paste
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup cream
- 250g penne, cooked as per packet instructions
- basil pesto, to serve
- finely grated parmesan cheese, to serve
1.) Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and red wine and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened.
2.) Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock, sugar, Italian herbs. some salt and pepper and the cream. Stir and then allow to boil gently for 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6 thoughts on “Creamy tomato penne with pesto”
How hectic that this year has already flown by? Good luck with your planning for the last stretch – love this simple recipe, looks delish!
Hi Anina, thanks so much for popping in! Sometimes simple is best, and pesto makes everything even better right? Hope you're well! x
Oh so true, I am nuts about pesto's and i generally use PestoPrincess, they have an amazing range! Looks so delicious, nice simple tmmy warming yumminess🌷😆
Thanks Vanessa, I have lost count of the number of times I've made this – we love it!