Who doesn’t love a stir fry right? Quick, easy, nourishing and full of flavour – they’re the perfect week night supper. Stir fry is definitely one of my favourite, speedy meals and this chutney chicken stir fry is fab!
This recipe has a little South African twist as I decided to use chutney and Worcestershire sauce instead of the usual soy sauce. It was also inspired by one of the very first recipes I published on the blog years ago (mango chicken) – the recipe is delicious, the pictures are hideous, ha ha! But the chutney and chicken combo works well and so I decided to rejig the recipe and pop an updated version here for you. With improved photos. *wink*
I’ve used our local favourite, Mrs Balls Chutney, in this recipe but you can use any variant you like. You can also mix and match your veggies to create a scrumptious dinner!
Cook’s notes –
- This recipe works well with any chutney variant!
- Mix and match your veggies. (Mushrooms work very well in this recipe.)
CHUTNEY CHICKEN STIR FRY
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- ½ a red onion, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) ground coriander
- 5ml (1 tsp) crushed garlic
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 60ml (¼ cup) Mrs Balls mild chutney
- 250ml (1 cup) shredded red cabbage
- 250ml (1 cup) broccoli florets
- 125ml (½ cup) mange tout, cut into thin strips
- 125ml (½ cup) carrot strips
- pinch of salt
- brown rice or egg noodles to serve
1.) Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes.
2.) Add the cumin, coriander and garlic to the pan and cook for another minute. Add the chicken and cook for a minute or two to brown.
3.) Add one tablespoon of the Worcestershire sauce and the chutney to the pan, and stir together. Cook for a minute or two.
4.) Add the cabbage, broccoli, mange tout and carrots to the pan along with the remaining tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Increase the heat and cook for 5 minutes, tossing regularly. Check the seasoning and add a pinch of salt if needed.
5.) Serve immediately with brown rice or egg noodles.